Thursday, February 5, 2015

"What'd You Just Say?"

We've all get them. Songs that we've been singing wrong for days, months, and sometimes even years and have been blissfully unaware until someone turns to you and says "what'd you just say?"

Last week, I struck CD gold when I found a Kenny Loggins' Greatest Hits CD at an estate sale for a dollar. All it took for me to decide that thing was coming home with me was to see that it contained one of my favorite Loggins' song Return to Pooh Corner. Done and done. A dollar well spent.

As I drove home from work whilst rocking out to the best of, I began to realize that I knew almost every song on that CD, BUT I was not 100% certain that I was actually singing the correct words after all this time. I love Kenny, but when you really stop and listen to his music you quickly realize that he is a hard man to understand.

Case in point, Footloose. After investigating further, it is apparent that for twenty years, I have been singing the wrong words. What the hay, man? Luckily my version of the classic is not TOO terribly far off from the true lyrics, but close doesn't cut it. Could've fooled me.

Who knew that he was not actually singing the following lines (my lyric fails in bold):
  • Been working so hard, I'm punching my card. Hey girl, for what, Oh, tell me what a guy.
  • Tonight I gotta cut loose, footloose. Kick off your Sunday shoes...Loose, so loose, everybody cut footloose
There's more, but I've song shamed myself enough for one day.

A few of my other favorite lyric blunders are below for your personal enjoyment.

Hubs:
Song- Joe Diffie by Jason Aldean
Hubs' Lyrics- "Jump with me, Jump with me"
Actual Lyrics: "Joe Diffie, Joe Diffie"

My mom:
Song- Dream Lover by Mariah Carey
Mom's lyrics- Cause I wanna sheparara with you
Actual lyrics- Cause I wanna share forever with you
*When asked what a "sheparara" was, she had no clue, but the fact that it is not an actual word had never caused her to even think twice about it.

Friend Lyza:
Song- Intergalactic by The Beastie Boys
Lyza's lyrics- Intergalactic, come together, come together
Actual lyrics- Intergalactic planetary, planetary

Your truly:
Song- Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
My lyrics- Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm ready to rock you, ready to rock you
Actual lyrics- Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive

What songs have you butchered in your car or the shower? Come on...I know you've got em!

No comments: