Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Great Vaccinate Debate

If I log onto social media and see one more Super Bowl "bad call" or a "why I choose to not vaccinate my child" post, I may lose it, people. Like, for real lose it. Those horses are not only dead, but have been beaten to a bloody pulp. Let's all move on to more important topics like the stupid groundhog named Phil who saw his shadow yet no one seems to care. I bet if good ole Phil chose to vaccinate his fur babies, that junk would be ALL over Facebook.

And because I am not a doctor, nor do I work for the CDC, I shall refrain from chiming in to the hateful vaccination banter on social media. I'm tired of seeing too many friendships bruised or backhanded posts on the topic to last me a lifetime. We get it. We all have an opinion and we all believe our opinions to be the best thing since sliced bread, but that does not mean that we need to constantly post articles that tell the other side of the debate that they're idiots.

Whether you choose to vaccinate or not, we can still be friends. I promise. I shall not call you an idiot and our kids can play together. At least until the measles make their way to Rockford and then we'll play it by ear (just kidding). But in all seriousness, let's all take a deep breath and look at the true reason that we feel so strongly about our decisions, both pro and no shots. For me, my decision to vaccinate comes from medical missionary work where I've seen first hand the results of very preventable diseases causing a child serious illness. Those parents would snatch up a vaccine in a heartbeat if they could to protect their children. I also know that 99% of those children were breastfed babies, as they do not have the access that we do to formula, and their immune system was not enough to protect those precious kiddos. Therefore, I feel as though it is my responsibility to protect my child for their sake and for the sake of mothers around the world who wish they had access to the preventative medicines that so many here take for granted.

What I also know is that decision is mine and the Hubs alone. I do not wish to debate it with it anyone on a social media platform, nor am I willing to unfriend anyone who disagrees with me or vice versa. We're each entitled to our own opinions. That's what makes our country so great and so frustrating all at the same time.

So, there, can we all move on and focus on more important things like the upcoming Waitangi Day this Friday in New Zealand and that I've started sprinkling cinnamon and one drop of vanilla extract in my coffee for the past two days and it's delicious? Earth shattering? Nope. But I dare someone to call me an idiot over it. I dare you.

No comments: