Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Hello, Second Trimester!

Boy am I glad to see you, second trimester! You're a breath of fresh air. With the first 3 months behind me, I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of this thing they call pregnancy. Well, at least until bathing suit season.


Sure, I still have my waves of random nausea and fatigue, but they are a walk in the park compared to the way I felt for the first 90 days or so. I'm definitely feeling more human and am starting to really enjoy this journey (Tim, I bet you questioned whether or not you'd ever hear me say that circa month 2, am I right?!). Plus the slowly growing belly bump makes it feel so much more real. Although I don't feel consistent movement each day, the bump makes me feel connected to the little man. I can reach out and touch him via his "bump cave" and know that he's in there and growing. Pretty amazing feeling!

Courtesy of the first month, I got to experience all day nausea (fyi, I'm pretty sure the doctor who coined the term "morning sickness" was a man or a woman who never carried a child, cuz that junk is ALL day long, especially at night), fatigue like I've never known, odd cramps and aches, and one must not forget a week long, flu-like illness that brought about high fevers, chills, sore throats and coughs with no reprieve since I couldn't take anything to kill it. I was a roaring good time to say the least.

Fast forward to one week shy of 5 months and I feel like I'm back in business. I have started to cook a bit more and can actually clean my house again. Dust bunnies had to take a backseat when my decisions were between having a clean kitchen and dust-free home or trying to stand up for 2 hours with intermittent vomit breaks while cleaning. Bring on the dust bunnies, friends. If you visited my home and my bathroom was sub-par, I seriously make no apologies. It is what it is. I was in survival mode. You don't like it, just don't look at it, okay.


Nesting is also in full swing at our casa. I'm on a mission to de-clutter (praise the Lord for constructive cravings that actually burn fat!). I've purged closets, pantries, laundry areas, etc... Next up, the basement. I'm going to need to reinforcements for that one though. Hubs, consider yourself warned.

And for the more comical side of the second trimester...an increasing appetite and the occasional meltdown. If it's a sweet or savory carb, I want it. If it's a donut, I will fight you to the death for a bite. I try not to buy these delicious circles of heaven, but find myself caving from time to time. I think I've found the secret to craving success though; donut holes. They're much smaller portions and often times one does the trick. Sometimes 4 are required pending the day's stress level. If I've reached a stage 5 donut hole day, look out. What? You people get your wine and your beer; I get donut holes, okay?

 
 
And because I couldn't pass this one up...
 
 
2nd trimester, I could rock you forever!
Or at least for the next 3 months. I better not get too cocky here.

No comments: