Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Adult Decisions

I have a confession to make. I've fallen in love. I think about my new love a lot. In the car, while at work, and when I can't sleep (which is usually because I'm in love and consumed and slightly terrified). I find myself day dreaming and "playing house" in my head on a daily basis. But don't fret, my pet, it's with a house, not a man. My marriage is safe and sound. That much I've got under control. The rest, well, I don't even pretend to have that nailed down.

Over the last few months, largely due to my town home woes, I've come to the harsh reality that being an adult is hard work. Sure, we get to stay up as late as we want, or at least until our husbands harass us to get off the iPad or turn off the Real Housewives and go to bed. We get to eat candy for dinner if we want to and can have a sleepover on school nights with our best friend. But darn it if all of the decisions thrown our way aren't hard. I would like a life coach who makes all of my hard decisions for me. I can handle the fun ones, the trivial ones, the "where do I want to eat dinner tonight" ones, but I'd like to delegate the "which house should we buy" and "should we NOT buy and add on" ones. Those ones give me heart palpitations.

There's still a ton to decide, but hopefully we'll have an update to share with you all soon. In the meantime, I'll just be over here day dreaming alongside of my heart palpitations and adult woes. What I can share with you is a few fun facts about my new love:
  • It's FULL of natural light. Like floor to ceiling light that makes you smile right when you walk in the front door. The kind of light that makes you want to grab a good book, blanket and get cozy in its beams. The kind that makes it seem like mornings would be just a bit brighter and less daunting. The kind of light that makes having coffee in your jammies seem like a mini-vacation.
  • Its got a view that makes me want to smack my current windows and tell them to ante up. A view that makes me want to call in sick to work just so I can look out of my window. A view that'd make me question if I was in the right house.
  • It's got the space to grow for a growing family. There's room for multiple kiddos, guests, and toys galore. It's got the space to say "hey, new love of mine, I feel okay committing to you for awhile because I can tell you've got my back."
  • It could be the home that we'll bring our first child home to this fall. No pressure at all.
  • It could be the home that houses countless family holidays, birthday parties, 4th of July  parties, and other random reason that I can find to host a party. If that is a challenge, I graciously accept. I can see the memories unfolding before my vary eyes as I type.
The drawback to choosing my new love and walking away from my current home is:
  • Leaving the first home I shared with my Hubs. Leaving the home where he carried me (all while I carried Piggy) over the threshold at 3am after a 17 hour drive home.
  • Leaving the house we worked so hard on to make it "ours".
  • Leaving the house that made us want to pull our hair out and joking deem the "money pit" for the first few months of marriage. Okay, maybe this bullet point doesn't make a strong case to stay put.
  • Leaving the sunlight in our living room. I really do love the light, especially in late afternoon when the sun spills into the room in all the right places. Those beams make me smile too.
  • Leaving the AMAZING location. The Hubs and I both work less than a mile from home. My commute would jump from 5 minutes to 15 minutes. Yes, I realize that's not far. I'm spoiled, okay.
  • Not being able to meet the Hubs at home for lunch every day while we watch so many reruns of Sex and the City that I can quote 75% of the episodes now. We've seen them all. Fives times each.
  • Leaving our sanctuary of a private and secluded backyard, on a full two acres in the middle of town. We have wild turkeys, deer, fox, eagles, etc...
What to do? What to do?

Alright, who wants to be my life coach? I can pay you in hugs, root beer floats and lots of natural light if you'd like to come and sit in either home and help us hammer this all out. Doesn't that sound like fun?

No comments: