Monday, January 14, 2013

Birthday Wisdom

As I tie a pretty ribbon around my 33rd year (seriously, how am I 34 already??!!), I always try to spend a few moments reflecting on what the previous year taught and brought me wisdom wise. Without further ado...

Some things really are worth waiting for. Sometimes you'll wait longer than you think for things you will and you will know when the time is right. The Lord's timing is ALWAYS right. Career moves are hard. Working in the same place for almost 10 years is something to admire in our fast paced, ever changing world, but it can also be challenging when you move on and become the newbie somewhere else. Being the new person is hard. Pod units containing all of your earthly possessions don't always arrive as guaranteed so plan accordingly. Moving into someone else's home is an experience that requires patience, understanding, respect of someone else's space and routine (on both sides), and lots of wine and Kleenex. Marriage is incredibly amazing. Marriage is incredibly challenging. Marriage is worth the challenge. Patience is a virtue. I do not possess said virtue. Wedding planning can be the most stressful and yet fun time in your life. Don't sweat the small wedding stuff, but instead make the small stuff where you and husband can be found during that special day. Details can be the best part of any day, especially your wedding day. People still carry their brides across the threshold. My husband carried me while I carried our sweet dog. Moments like that are priceless, even at 3:00 am after driving for 17 hours to your new home together. I watch too much MTV crap TV. I watch too much crap TV in general. I'm obsessed with the Property Brothers. Cooking makes the swirl in brain stop for a moment. Blogging makes the same swirl stop. You can go home, unlike the song lyrics say. Family is a gift. Cherish that gift. Illinois winters aren't as bad as I thought they'd be after 16 years at the beach. Today is the coldest day we've had this winter, Happy Birthday to me. I'm more coordinated on ice skates than I am in heels during an Illinois winter. I miss the beach and my church and my friends every day. I've loved the creation process of new friendships here. I think my Charleston friends and my Rockford friends would all be friends if location wasn't an issue. The time of night when we turn the TV off and chat and laugh as a small family of 3 is my favorite entertainment of the day. My husband's laugh, like his REAL belly laugh, makes me laugh until I cry. You can leave the south, but the south doesn't leave you. It's in your blood and in your heart. Forever.

No comments: