Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Has Anyone Seen My Filter?

Apparently today I left my “filter” at home this morning while I made a mad dash to the office. Coffee, check. Breakfast for the car, check. Eye make-up because I’m too behind to do it at the house, check. Verbal filter, uh-oh. Pretty sure that’s still sitting on the counter next to my English muffin crumbs.

I was not aware of this faux pas until I was in a brainstorming meeting this morning with our team. Apparently I did not like someone’s idea and made it known with an over emphasized “UUUGGGHHH” sound out loud after someone whipped out their idea. It was so quick to slip out, but so severely uncalled for. Who does that?! Who shoots down a co-workers brainchild, and who does it without constructively saying why they’re shooting it down? “How about this idea?”….NOPE, please try again later.

I seriously feel like my mouth is on auto-pilot today. Comment after comment has flown out with my mouth, some appropriate, some not so appropriate, all the while my mind and body sit back as innocent bystanders.

If I were to be 100% transparent with you, I’d probably say it felt slightly good and refreshing to say the first thing that came to my mouth. However the nice person part of me will only leave it at “I hope I remember to grab my filter tomorrow before I make someone cry or get fired”. UUUGGGGHHH.

No comments: