Tuesday, December 8, 2015

My Bae is Cray.

 
What do you do when your 15 month old son is fearless? Like head diving into the floor on purpose fearless? You have mini-heart attacks eeerrrrryyyday, all day. That's what you do.

Whilst pregnant with said cray cray, I read all the blogs about being a "boy mom" and how my life would be covered in missed-the-potty-pee-splatters, dirt and boogers, crotch adjusting and injuries caused by a lack of fear that is somehow woven into boy genes, but none of those bloggers mentioned a dang thing about the injuries and fearlessness happening at 15 months. Somehow my precious little went from crawling to walking to crowd diving in a matter of weeks, which I can assure you is not nearly enough time to prepare this momma's heart. Or mind. Or insurance provider.

What started as a friendly and innocent game of tackle mom and dad if they're laying on the floor has escalated into "I'm just gonna put this throw pillow on the floor and proceed to run and face plant into it repeatedly while belly laughing." Our Munch thinks flying face first into the ground is the coolest thing ever no matter how many times we try to redirect to an activity that is a bit more gentle and parent approved.

Trying to climb off the backside of the couch? Sounds totally fun to him! Trying to fling yourself off the bed? He's game! He. Has. No. Fear. And the forehead bruises to prove it. I tend to joke that his little still forming body will see stitches by his second birthday, but truth be told, it's not funny when I say it. It scares me to the core.

How do you tame a child's sense of independence and fearlessness without squashing their spark and sense of adventure? How do I walk the line of ensuring he's just the right amount of afraid of danger? And more importantly how do I wrap our entire house in bubble wrap in a completely Better Homes and Garden sort of way?

Any and all suggestions and advice are welcome on this one. My son's poor forehead thanks you in advance, as does my heartburn.

No comments: