Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A Mother's Day First

Can we just take a minute and give our moms a standing ovation? I mean, is there really a harder, more around the clock job than being a parent? They're never truly off the clock. I, for one, am so thankful for the two people that the Lord chose to be my parents. I hit the parent jackpot if you ask me.

With that being said, this Mother's Day was the first time that I got to participate in the holiday. Y'all know I love a holiday, so experiencing a new one for the first time was extra special. And although I don't have a child to hold in my arms just yet, being able to go through the day feeling that little nugget move and kick was as sweet as having him right there for the world to see.

With our traditional, family festivities planned for Sunday, the Hubs surprised me with a special dinner on Saturday. After a VERY long day of working and standing on my feet in the hot sun for 9 hours, I came home to the smell of dinner in the oven. Is there any better smell than a dinner cooking in your own home that YOU don't have to cook yourself. Hallelujah! He had cooked a delicious meal of panko rolled chicken, fresh asparagus and green beans and mashed potatoes (which are my fave). I told him "if you can cook this well, I'm adding you to the nightly rotation." Apparently he's been sandbagging me for the last 2 years;)

I was so hungry that I forgot to take a picture before the carnage, oops. 

And then there was cake with a mom sign and a candle. Because every mom should get to make a wish on Mother's Day, right? Right.



And then came the gifts. He could've stopped at dinner and the card, but he really blew me away with his thoughtfulness and creativity. Although it'll never be a competition, this first Mother's Day is going to be hard to top, I tell you.

Thanks to the Hubs, I was gifted a prenatal massage gift card (Hallelujah squared!), Ziggy got cute overalls to wear to the apple orchard this fall and both Ziggy and Piggy wrote me letters. Needless to say I cried my way through them. Those two letters right there were gift enough. They were priceless gifts.

 

Thank you, Timmy, Piggy and Ziggy and for making this first holiday so incredibly special. It was over the top and I'm so grateful to call you three mine.

And to top off the special day, my "host cadet", Mia, from The Citadel, text me the photo below as we were on the way to breakfast with my grandma. Mia graduated on Saturday with her MBA from The Citadel and I couldn't be more proud of my host child. She's incredible and driven and I'm so proud to know her. Her text read "Happy Mother's Day host momma. I love you and thank you for everything. BTW I did it:):):)" You sure did, girl, and you look fabulous doing it! So, so proud. You're going places quickly. Look out world, here come my hostie!



To all the moms out there, especially mine, I hope you had the best day full of hugs, sweet treats, flowers, laughter and all of the appreciation and gratitude that often goes unsaid and un-shown throughout the rest of the year. It's not that we forget or don't appreciate you, but there aren't enough hours in the typical day to thank you for all you do. You're cheerleaders, mentors, chefs, chauffeurs, nurses, counselors, life coaches, friends, truth tellers, protectors and defenders, comforters, and everything else we need exactly when we need it. You're all we hope to be and more.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. We love you forever and always and then some.