Thursday, March 27, 2014

Run Your Race


Sometimes you just have to put down the pen and let someone else do the writing. Someone much smarter, more eloquent, and with better hair. Today, for me, I'm turning it over to Jen Hatmaker. If you don't know her name, I'll just go ahead say "you're welcome" now.

Jen is by far one of my favorite, if not the favorite, Christian speakers, authors, moms, etc... She stands for everything you know to be true, but does it in such a real and transparent (and often times sarcastic) way, that you can't help but get it. She makes me belly laugh until I snort and she can bring you to tears in the next breath. She's fantastic and her words and delivery have got to be straight from the Lord. They just have to be.

On her blog Monday, she wrote a post entitled "Run Your Race" and I knew I wanted to share it with you all. It's challenging, yet inspiring, and has certainly made me think.

What is the race that YOU were MADE to run? What is something that you are so very good at without needing to think about or try too hard? What can you do that would make the rest of us sit back and smile? Off the top of my head, I can think of some special people in my life who you can just tell were made for certain things. And for those that I can't quite pinpoint, I'm guessing they know deep down inside and have not yet shared it with the rest of us. Don't wait, let it flow!

My call out to each of us, thanks to Jen's prompting, is to figure it out now. Not tomorrow. Figure out our very own race and let's run it. Unapologetically and without fear. And when people say "man, you're really great at _______", we can say "I know, isn't it crazy?! The Lord has blessed me with such a cool gift. Thanks for noticing!" versus our usual "oh this, it's nothing really."

And in Jen's much more eloquent words "Let the rest of us grin at you while you run your race. Let us be proud. Let us be inspired and grateful that God made you to do this thing and you are doing it LIKE A BOSS. The timing is never right. Forget that. It won't just fall into your lap. That’s fake."

Take a sec and read her challenge. And then go out there like a boss. I'll be right here warming up my smile and teary eyes for you (and myself).

http://jenhatmaker.com/blog/2014/03/24/run-your-race

No comments: