Friday, May 3, 2013

Who Ya Gonna Call...

No, not Ghost Busters, silly. My dad. That's who I'm gonna call.

I've always known that my parents are wealth's of knowledge. They know everything. Or at least in my eyes, they know everything and always will. They've been there, done that, seen that, lived through that to tell the tale, wouldn't do that again, etc...

I'm one of the fortunate people who never "wanted" when it came to my folks. They always showed up, always loved, made the hard decisions when I'm sure it wasn't easy, and helped me to strive for great and not just mediocre. Not that I'm claiming to be great, but you get the drift.

And although my parents are super smart and equals in my head, I'm starting to realize that they're both my "go to" person but for totally different things. If I need someone to listen to me vent on matters of the heart, I go to my mom. She listens (well, to about 75% of what I say and nods pleasantly through the other 25% like she's still listening-it runs in the family. Just watch my grandma;). She doesn't try to fix things or give me a solution, she just listens and shares in my "this sucks" feeling when I need to feel known.

My dad, he's the boss. He's got the answers and he's got solutions. If I need work advice, he's very knowledgeable as an Executive Director of a statewide agency. Now, if I need boy advice or matters of the heart, he's probably not my go to dude. I remember a conversation of ours when I was suffering from a catastrophic, broken heart and I heard his words ring through the phone line "Well Baboo, at least you're not the U of Illinois basketball team. They were undefeated ALL season and just lost their playoff game to get into the NCAA tournament. Now that is devastating. Try to imagine how they're feeling right about now."  Bless his heart, I know he was trying, and in his head that was a "let's put this into perspective" moment. I can laugh about it now, but at the time, I think I cried harder and asked when mom would be home to talk.

During some recent transitions in my life while updating resumes last summer, career moves, dad's been an awesome source of support and wisdom. My hubs is as well, but dad's got some years on us that we just don't have at 34 years old.

This week the chips were down for me and I was scared over an issue. After talking it over with the hubs, I told him "I'm going to call my dad. He'll know what to do." And even though I knew what he was going to say before he said it, I, his little girl, just needed to hear it in his voice. He told me what I should do and I did it. Within minutes. I just needed to hear my dad say that it was going to be okay. And guess what? It was. I lived to tell the tale.

I have a feeling that I'll be the 60 year old on the phone with my dad when the chips are down and I need some solid, encouraging advice. I pray to God he won't be helping me update my resume at 60, but I do know, Lord willing, he'll be the one that I call when a solution looms in the air and I need a wise voice.

So thankful.

No comments: