Monday, January 28, 2013

My Soap Box

People are mean. No, really. Like 110% mean sometimes and I do not like it.

The hubs and I had a chance to enter a contest to rename the local pro baseball team in our hometown, so we thought "hey, why not? What do we have to lose?" So we jotted down about 5 names and sent them on their merry way, not really thinking too much about them again.

Fast forward 2 weeks. I receive an email from the GM of the team congratulating us on our win. What?! One of our brainchildren was actually chosen?! Very cool! We high fived, fist bumped, laughed for a bit, and were actually pretty proud of ourselves. We were also excited to win the 25 tickets and other prizes that ensued.

Fast forward another 24 hours. I literally want to cry or crawl under a rock or crawl under a rock while crying. Everyone in town apparently hates the name. Seriously. Like they hate it so much that some of the online feedback has read something like this:
"Worst. Name. Ever."
"Idiots. So stupid."
"Rockford Criminals would've been more appropriate." (Okay, this guy is clearly just a jerk anyway!)

I still stand by our name entry of the Rockford Aviators. I think it's strong, cool and shines some much needed positive light on a great industry in our community when we could use some positivity. Our aviation manufacturers supply jobs, lots of jobs, to our area and that's a GREAT thing.

What this has taught me though, is that people are mean. People speak without thinking about a person being on the other side of a name change, an idea, and really everything. Think before you blast something new. And if you don't like it, well maybe you should've come up with something cooler. And, no, the Rockford Criminals is not cooler nor is it a legit name.

Right about now, I'm thinking the Rockford Meanies would've been a good suggestion.

Oh well. What can you do? As I step down off of my soap box this morning, I leave you with this...
Go Rockford Aviators! I think you sound fantastic!

No comments: