Monday, September 24, 2012

Not Your Momma's House

As my new hubby and I plant our roots in our first home together, I can't help but feel a twinge of guilt when it comes to decorating. My poor man doesn't stand a chance. He is going to be enveloped in color, softness, frills, and a touch of whimsy every chance I get. In every room we have. I just can't stop myself.

Luckily for this bride, he's a good sport and doesn't ask for too much in terms of his decor say. God bless him.

As I plan our cottage beach house sweet home, here are some of my magical inspirations for this nesting process:

I'm a girl pleasantly stuck somewhere between classic...


and whimsical. I know my heart does not lie in the modern realm or with new construction. Unless of course, I can make our new construction embody the charm and character of a home or cottage built in the early 1900's.


My ideal outdoor spaces come alive with color, bold lighting, and spaces that literally beckon you to nestle up with a good book, glass of wine or hot cider. And of course, a fire pit for this gorgeous, Midwestern fall.



My motto- insert color!
Neutrals need not apply in my home. I don't know if I'm supposed to love color in my home as much as I do, but quite frankly, I'm okay with that. Apparently I never outgrew my crayola phase, because girl, I love coloring outside of the lines! I die for this mint green kitchen. D.I.E.

In our basement we have a very cool and underappreciated old farm door, much like the one you see below. I plan to relocate that bad boy STAT. He deserves way more than a dark and dreary basement appearance.


Cozy is also a must in my home. If a room and its furniture aren't comfy, I don't want them. There's nothing worse than not being able to cuddle up in your nest.


I don't know that my hubby would allow THIS much color in our home, but I love how fearless this living space looks. You want to see how much color we can pack into a room? BAM! No problemo.

Over the last year, I've begun collecting vintage suitcases and I absolutely love the night stand below. It makes the room feel well traveled and ready for adventure at a moment's notice. "Fly to Charleston this weekend" you ask. "Why certainly! Let me just remove my lamp and lavendar sprig and I'll be right over."
Can't wait to try this in our space!


And last but not least...
Ahh, a girl can dream, right??


"If I lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world?"




1 comment:

hmgarver421 said...

If things don't work out with Tim just know that you and I would work out perfectly as we share the same pins!