Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Bride to Be

I'm back after months of silence and zero time to write and zero time to be creative. Do I have much more time on my hands now? Umm, that'd be a resounding no. Do I need a creative outlet before my head explodes? And the angels all sang in unison, YYYYEESSSS!

For 32 years (okay, maybe more like 20), I've dreamt of what my wedding would look like, sound like, taste like, and feel like. I've planned it a million times over in my head. I have actual word documents saved full of ideas and photos that I've found over the years, and after attending countless weddings, I've narrowed down what I like, don't like, love and loathe at weddings. So it would make sense that everything should now fall into place and be roses and fireworks and red velvet cupcakes, right? Again, not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my upcoming wedding to my best friend and partner for the rest of my life. I could not be happier to start our journey together in June! I love thinking about it and I could talk your ear off about the details if you'd let me. What I don't love about planning this special day is the stress that comes along with it. I don't love the amount of money you are expected to pay to have everything you thought you always wanted only to find out that you cannot afford any of it. I hate that vendors can charge you 3 times what you'd normally pay simply because you've attached the word "wedding" to the conversation. Shouldn't our focus be on the celebration and not so much the purse strings? Can I not simply have a tasty reception without going broke before we start down the aisle?

My goal, somehow, is to keep my eyes and mind focused on the start of our marriage and not on the stress that can become the wedding if I let it. I am committed to enjoying this time and finding ways to have the day I've dreamed of without going into debt. I will be creative. I will be resourceful. And I will stay positive. I have found the one my heart loves and this day in June should be a reflection of that love and joy and not one of our wallets. It will. Or else;)

1 comment:

hmgarver421 said...

Stay focused my dear. I'd be happy to help come up with thrifty ideas for your dream wedding. Just let me know if you want the help and what you are looking for! xoxo I need the DATE!