Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Mom is Tougher than Your Mom

I've always thought my mom was awesome, but now I have pictures and documentation to back up my thoughts. After waking at 4am, riding a bus to the first of 4 planes they'd take to Chicago, and ending her journey on one more bus to our hometown, my mom is safely back from Haiti this week. Changed, I'm sure. But safely back at home tired, overwhelmed, and dirty.


If you've read my blog in the past, you most likely know that I wanted to go to Haiti but was not able to make it on a team. I was disappointed, but have been able to share in the journeys of Rob and now my mom which has been awesome to experience the country through their eyes, camera lens, and hearts. They are both tough cookies for traveling to the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, especially after a horrific natural disaster, but my mom definitely impressed me along her journey.


In short, mom's journey included: an 8 hour bus ride on a tap tap with no AC, horrible roads, and a flooded river that needed to be crossed by bus, she slept on concrete in a tent on the roof of a building for safety, used showers that I wouldn't even want Wrigley to shower in, helped build a playground, a boat, and a market place, helped pass out 3,000 pairs of shoes, and last but not least taught a few Haitian children the Cupid Shuffle. Any woman who's willing to sleep on a concrete rooftop and not have access to a mirror for 7 days is a rock star in my book. And I'm so proud to call that rock star, Mom. Keep rocking out for the well being of others, Mom. I think you're one bad Mama-Jama!

PS...My Dad rocks, too! Stay tuned for his story...








No comments: