Monday, November 23, 2009

I Dreamed of Africa



Have you ever had something stir inside your heart and no matter how many times you try and tuck it away it pops back up in the most unexpected ways? That is pretty much where I am right now. Heart stirring, mind racing, and soul searching. All of those combined usually mean that God is at work, like it or not.

The good news is that at this point, I like it. So, here it is. After 2 trips to Nicaragua, and although I told myself I couldn't do another trip next year as it was too hard thus needing a break, I've started to change my mind. I am pretty sure Africa is calling and I really want to answer her. With that being said, I also know that the scenes from the movie "I Dreamed of Africa" that I love so much, will most likely not be the majority of what I'd experience. On the contrary, where I would be would be cut off from the world, and a very desolate place. Sure the people will be the reason to go and they will be the light there, but I want to be sure my heart is ready. I'm certain that a trip of that magnitude doesn't just fade away after you've been back to the states for a month. Trips like that most likely haunt you for longer than I am used too, as I've heard this will be more challenging than where I've been. People in Nicaragua are malnourished, but the ones I have met or seen are not starving to death, nor are they dying of AIDS, etc... They need medical help, but for the most part they are not terminal patients like they are in Africa.

I am going to keep praying over this stirring for the next 2 months. However, if she keeps calling and God keeps leading, I won't just be dreaming of Africa, I'll be heading there myself.

1 comment:

Just A Work In Progress said...

I really love your honesty Britt...especially about your faith. It's such a beautiful thing and I'm so glad you're willing to share it!!!