Thursday, September 10, 2009

Zolia Maria



As we said our goodbyes last night after the church service, my favorite 13 year old friend, Zoila Maria, came over to tell me that she wouldn’t be able to see us off tomorrow due to her school ending later than when we’d we pack up the clinic. She’d try to send her mom or grandmother with a special note for me though. How cute is that? Regardless, tonight would be our goodbye. I wasn’t ready. There was so much I wanted to say but again my words were locked up in language barriers.

We hugged as hard as we could a couple of times (side bar- why do I hug people harder here? Do I take my hugs for granted at home?). But my favorite part of our goodbye was when she and her friend, Karena, kissed my cheek and told me that they loved me very much. I told them the same. My heart falls a lot harder here, which is not necessarily a good thing.

Will this ever get easier? Goodbyes while knowing full well you will most likely never see someone again? My guess is no.

No comments: