Friday, June 26, 2009

What a Week!







Wow. What a week and what a whirlwind of devastating news. Thank the Lord it’s Friday, because quite frankly and selfishly, I cannot take any more sad news this week.

For those of you who know me or for those who just simply made the mistake in bringing up Jon and Kate this week with me in the room, you already know my heart was hurting and I was in protective mode for the Gosselins. Sure, I don’t know them, but I have fallen in love with their kids over the years alongside of half of America. To see anyone’s marriage crumble, is devastating, but to see it plastered all over the tabloids, just too much to take. And then Mark Sanford’s announcement and to know his marriage is in shambles too. Not too mention the recent announcements of college friends and sorority sisters going through painful divorces, IS THERE HOPE anymore in marriages?

And just when I felt as though I could take a deep breath, I got the text. The text that I’ll always remember where I was when I received it and how I felt. “Michael Jackson is dead. What is going on??” All I could think was “ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! YOU MEAN FARRAH FAWCETT, RIGHT!!”

I’ll save my fond thoughts on this American icon in another blog, as I thoroughly believe the man stands alone and deserves his own shout-out. But seriously, I cannot remember a week, maybe aside from 9-11 and Hurricane Katrina, when everything seemed to stand still. When everyone seemed to want to gather and talk about the news. When I’ve been glued to the TV and radio in the hopes of being able to wrap my head around something. Can’t listen to his music over the last 18 hours without tearing up, but can’t not listen to it either.

This week: too much, too quickly. Emotional overload. Please make it stop.

No comments: