Friday, January 23, 2015

I Didn't Have Time

I didn't have time to piece together all the right outfits for my Charleston trip, but I didn't have time to care as the 63 degree breezes blew across my face and the sun shone down on my pasty, Illinois skin.

I didn't have time to get my eyebrows waxed, as I had promised myself for two weeks leading up to the trip. Luckily, I didn't have time to care as I looked around every room I was in at all of the smiling faces that I love over a 72 hour span.

I didn't have as much time as I'd like to spend in deep conversation with many of my friends on our visit, but I didn't wallow in it too much because it made me really want to be more intentional in connecting with them  via phone, email and text until we get those rare minutes of face to face time.

I didn't have time to see everything I would've loved to see in Charleston, but I didn't have time to care as we stood on the edge of the ocean as our son experienced the sand and the waves and salt water smell for the first time. Sometimes seeing one amazing thing trumps all of the other smalls things.

I didn't have time to be sad that our trip was only 3 days long, because I didn't have time to even look at a watch or calendar thanks to dinners and brunches and cookouts with 9 kids and church and palmetto trees.

I didn't have time to eat any fresh seafood, but I didn't mind all that much as I stuffed my face with Palmetto Cheese and fresh caramel apple pancakes and fried chicken biscuits.

I didn't have time to pout that by the time we got to church we had to sit in the lobby and watch the message on a TV screen, because the teaching was more powerful than where we were sitting.

I didn't have time to grab the lunch I would've liked as we boarded our flight home, but I didn't mind all that much because the Hubs and I made the best picnic we could out of one tiny sandwich, girl scout cookies from our friend's daughter and gummy bears from a thoughtful friend's birthday gift.

Although I didn't have time to stay as long as I wanted, I didn't mind all that much because I know I'll be back soon. I'll always go back. Again and again. And for THAT, my friends, I'll always have time.



No comments: